Here are the basic rules regarding the Certificate of Merit Exam. We want to give our Juniors the tools to help them succeed in this endeavor! Again, if you have any questions or need help, please contact us!
- The Evaluator may NOT evaluate any family member.
- The Evaluator will be professional at all times, being helpful and encouraging in order to help the Jr succeed. The Evaluator will be clear and explain each exercise.
- The ONLY collars allowed during the exam are a flat collar or choke chain. No body harnesses.
- NO RETRACTABLE LEASHES ARE ALLOWED. We suggest that the leash is short enough for the Jr Handler to easily work their dog.
- NO BAIT, OF ANY KIND, WILL BE ALLOWED DURING THE EXAM.
- There is no age restriction to take the exam, for ANY Jr, but we strongly suggest that they be old enough to understand what the Evaluator is asking of them and that they be able to control their dog. No adults are allowed to help during the exam.
- There is no minimum age restriction for the dog being used, however puppies may not be of age to understand all that is being asked of them.
- For the exam, any dog of any age, sex, altered or no are allowed. Please make sure that the dog has taken a potty break prior to the exam.
- This exam is strictly optional for Juniors.
- Once the Jr has completed the exam, the Evaluator will go over the results with each one. Once they have passed the exam in its entirety in one session, they will be awarded the JR HANDLER CERTIFICATE OF MERIT PIN. The pins will be mailed out to each participant. If the Jr does not pass, they are welcome to retake the exam again at any available session.
- ANY DOG THAT BITES, ATTEMPTS TO BITE, ATTACKS OR ATTEMPTS TO ATTACK, OR GROWLS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY EXCUSED FROM PARTICIPATING. The safety of our Juniors and Evaluators are our highest priority!
- Each participant MUST BRING one grooming tool that their animal is used to for the section on grooming.
- There is NO fee for this exam and Juniors should be ABKC registered.
- As the Judges and Evaluators may be busy the day of show, we strongly suggest that you make an appointment for the exam with them prior to the available show.